Skip to content
Preventing and alleviating destitution throughout Scotland and the UK.
The Emergency Relief Fund provides small crisis grants to support people from refugee and migrant communities at risk of, or currently, experiencing destitution or who are vulnerably housed. The Fund helps to sustain people and/or their tenancies until such time that they can resolve a crisis related to their legal status in this country and rebuild their lives. Types of applications include funding for travel to legal appointments, payments to destitute asylum seekers where there are children affected by destitution, the elderly and sick, payments to sustain refugee hosting arrangements, and to clear or reduce rent arrears following an eviction notice.
Making an Application
Applications are only accepted from professional support workers from refugee and migrant organisations, homelessness organisations, the British Red Cross and CAB advisors on behalf of their service users.
Applications to the Emergency Relief Fund are managed through our online hosting and grants referral system REFER Online.
How to apply
All applicants need to individually register as a user of our REFER online system with a valid work email address before making an application.
Registrations from members of the public are not accepted.
If you are already a registered user, log in here and make your referral.
If you are not registered then apply here for an account first. If accepted, we will then send you your username and login.
Deadline for Referrals
Currently, the deadline for grants is the 25th of each calendar month – although in certain months this date may vary, eg December.
Emergency Relief Fund – Winter Crisis Grants
To apply, you must be registered with us as a caseworker. Apply for an account here
Once you receive your account details, usually within a few hours, you can add your client/s details.
once your client is on the REFER system, you can make a referral for hosting, crisis grants or both.
thereafter you can apply for grants or hosting for your client/s , and so long as you demonstrate a clear forward plan.
NB this is a precious under funded resource designed as a practical resource for destitution caseworkers. Hosting is an emergency last resort for the most vulnerable. please refer only those who have run out of options and need support to resolve their crisis and rebuild their lives.
INFORMATION FOR REGISTERED CASEWORKERS
The priority groups are those who are at risk of destitution, without recourse to funds and who are at risk of falling into deeper crisis. We want to ensure that crisis grants reach those in greatest need and help individuals to get through the Christmas holiday period. Our priority is to help people at risk of destitution to rebuild their lives and resolve their status.
1. Deadline for Referrals is December 14th 2018. There is no guarantee of payments, but well written applications with all documentary evidence supplied are more likely to be successful.
2. Grant decisions (and appointment times) will be notified to caseworkers on or before 17 December 2018.
3. Distribution of grants can begin.
IMPORTANT INFO – WE HAVE STRICT SECURITY IN PLACE AND A FORMAL REFERRAL PROCESS.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND PEOPLE DIRECTLY TO OUR OFFICE.
4. No clients will be accepted without prior agreed appointment.
5. Please ensure that the person you are referring is safe.
NOTE FOR CASEWORKERS OUTSIDE GLASGOW:
6. You should distribute the agreed award to your clients and upload properly signed receipts to the online system (REFER).
7. Grants NOT distributed before Christmas risk being VOIDED and NOT reimbursed.
NOTE FOR GLASGOW CASEWORKERS ONLY:
8. BEFORE making referrals ensure that the person being referred is SAFE to be referred and not a risk to our staff members. If you are unsure about making such a referral then please email firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance.
9. If an award is successful, you will be provided with an appointment date, time and venue. Please immediately notify this appointment to your client. If your client does not attend for their appointment then the payment will be VOIDED.
10. All enquiries to email@example.com or call Razgar on 0141 353 7966.
11. Add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your safe senders list, and check junk/spam folders.
Finally, we have a favour to ask …
The emergency relief fund is funded entirely by private donations. To give a donation please go to www.positiveactionh.org/donate . Or give to the winter appeal online here