Volunteers: Helpers and Voices
Volunteers are essential to Positive Action in Housing. The hours they spend every week among our team and with our service users contribute to increasing and improving the support provided.
If you are attached to social justice, want to engage in a collective initiative for solidarity, and be part of a warm and driven team, feel welcome already!
We have up to 20 volunteers working with us on this, with varying levels of experience in the charity sector or self-confidence at the start. All of them contribute to our projects and help achieve our aims.
Charities need the support and the energy of citizens of different backgrounds and ambitions, who share values and convictions. Volunteers are this essential link between the voluntary sector and the rest of the society that is key to pursuing social justice.
Come forward, apply, and join us!
Tim Lehuraux, our Volunteer Coordinator, is in charge of recruiting volunteers to a wide range of new, diverse and exciting opportunities on offer. At the moment, we would very happy to welcome:
- A Romanian-speaking volunteer to help caseworkers provide support/advice to people from the Roma community in Govanhill.
- Money Skills volunteers to follow training and shadow of caseworkers on cases of budgeting skills, debt management, or access to benefits. Volunteers will be then asked to run community workshops to spread the knowledge acquired and identify potential clients.
We also regularly look for new volunteers on the following roles, and therefore future opportunities shall be expected.
- A Lifeline casework assistant to assist caseworkers on a number of tasks (interviews, form filling, admin) to help destitute asylum seekers and refugees. If you speak Arabic, Farsi or Kurdish, that’s even greater!
- Receptionists to run the reception area (welcoming visitors and service users, signposting to other services). The bass guitar in a band: you don’t always notice it , until it’s not there and your harmony is lost.
In the near future, we will also be very happy to welcome:
- Befrienders as part of the befriending programme targeting isolated clients such as single mothers, older people, lone individuals.
- Home Visitors to take part in the management of the network of Room for Refugee hosts.
If you are interested in current or forthcoming opportunities, feel free to apply online as soon as now, and we will be in touch.
For more information please contact Tim by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 0141 353 7964.
We need more volunteers to offer a spare room or more to a refugee family, women or man or Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children, especially in Glasgow and London. Please see Host a Refugee or visit www.roomforrefugees.com if you are interested in supporting refugees by offering accommodation. For other inquiries regarding Room for Refugee, please send an email to email@example.com.
Winter Surgery – 18 & 19 December 2018
Every year before Christmas, Positive Action organizes a Winter Surgery over two days, where people at risk of homelessness or destitution will be coming through our doors – by appointment – to receive a range of support to see them through winter. Volunteers are always welcome to help out over this busy period, and share a collective moment around Christmas and the holidays, under the sign of empathy and solidarity.